Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Writer's Block?

I know I'm not the only writer out there that sits down to the laptop, typewriter, notebook, whatever your personal tool is, and nothing comes to mind. How intimidating is it to open up an MS Word document and just STARE at it--it's blankness is terrifying! At least notebook paper has lines! So what do I do when I get writers block?

1 - HOT CHOCOLATE. It's my number one inspirational drink, and even the process of making it helps. You're getting away from your writing zone, doing something that only requires half of your brain, and that usually means my imagination is wandering all over.
2 - Take a Walk. It's so cliche, but it works! Getting out in the fresh air, seeing the way nature works, marvelling at beauty you can't even hope to get close to--very inspiring!
3 - Naps! Napsnapsnaps! I am a huge cat napper. I nap all the time. BUT, THIS REALLY ONLY WORKS FOR ME. See, I tell myself stories while I am trying to go to sleep. Being able to lie down with no distractions, relax, and let my imagination entertain me...Best thing everrrrr.
4 - DO NOT PLAY A GAME. No, I'm serious. I used to do it all the time. "Oh, whoa is me, I have no muse! I KNOW, I'll play a VIDEO GAME and all will be well, it will restore my creativity!" Um. No. You'll get sucked into the game and never write a single word. I'm for serious.
5 - If worst comes to worst, and you can't get ANYTHING no matter what, just write. It doesn't matter what you're writing, it does matter how CRAPTASTIC it is(hey, point number one, give yourself permission to suck for your first draft) and it doesn't even matter if you're following a logical timeline. Just write; that's the only REAL cure for writer's block.

:) That's what I usually do. BTW, if you're having trouble with that 'just write' idea, then here's another one: Join an rpg. I mean a proboards or invisionfree writing style rpg. It's really good to have a little diversity in your writing, especially if it's a longterm writing project.

No comments:

Post a Comment